Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive technique to treat varicose veins and spider veins. A liquid or foamed medicine is injected into the vessels.
Foam sclerotherapy is a non-surgical procedure to remove varicose veins and spider veins.
This procedure is effectively performed in patients who do not suffer from insufficiency of saphenous and peroneal veins. In patients diagnosed with such a condition, the combination of surgical procedures with sclerotherapy performed by a highly experienced surgeon enables to achieve an optimal aesthetic result and a reduced risk of complications. In such cases sclerotherapy is normally performed four weeks following a surgery.
- Foam sclerotherapy is a relatively painless procedure;
- It is a minimally invasive procedure (the thinnest needle is used to make an incision);
- No anaesthetics required;
- You may expect the desired cosmetic effect to appear only several weeks following the procedure;
- No scars.
- The procedure normally takes about 15 minutes;
- You are likely to return home and to normal daily routine right away;
- The price of sclerotherapy is low;
- It is possible to perform sclerotherapy several times.
Eligibility for a surgery is determined during a specialist consultation on the basis of a USG Doppler examination performed by your attending surgeon. It involves an estimation of indications and technical possibilities for the procedure and developing a treatment plan.
Medical eligibility is verified and the laser treatment is performed by:
| Stanisław Molski, MD. PhD. DSc.
specialist in general and vascular surgery and angiology
|Michal Molski, MD. PhD.
specialist in vascular and general surgery
phlebologist certified by Polish Phlebological Society
Make an appointment via e-Appointment.
Pricelist, reimbursement provided by insurance companies:
- Cost of verifying a patient’s eligibility for the procedure with a USG Doppler is 80 €;
- Cost of sclerotherapy procedure amounts to 100 €.
- Cost of USG guided sclerotherapy procedure amounts to >150 €.
(The price includes an application of 1 ampoule of the medicine which usually is enough to make a few to over a dozen injections in one or more clusters of veins on one or two legs).
- We signed contracts concerning medical eligibility and procedure coverage witheg. Luxmed a partner of BUPA
- Check if your insurance coverage includes the cost of medical eligibility or procedure
- If required we will prepare a treatment plan for your insurance company
Preparation for the procedure:
Preparation for the procedure:
- Graduated compression products – compression knee-length socks, stockings, tights or bandages;
- USG Doppler examination result.
You should inform your surgeon if you have a hormone replacement therapy and hormonal contraception.
Before sclerotherapy for varicose veins it is necessary to have a USG Doppler-Duplex of venous system in order to exclude insufficiency of main arteriesand other pathologies which are contraindications for this treatment technique.
Sclerotherapy of large veins, especially saphenous and peroneal veins, gives only short-term effects. Therefore, if you are diagnosed with insufficiency of main arteries, we recommend techniques which are much more effective and bring long-term effects, that is, EVLT, RFITT Celon, crio-surgeryor stripping.
Ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy for large veins should be performed only in patients who are disqualified for other techniques.
If you take blood thinners or anticoagulants you should inform your surgeon about it.
Course of the procedure:
Then, the surgeon identifies optima spots to make a few to over a dozen injections with a very thin needle, injecting foam medicine into the varicose veins. Since a syringe is provided with a very thin needle the procedure is relatively painless.Special ultrasound devices like duplex ultrasound are used in sclerotherapy for deep varicose veins. Then the injected varicose veinsshrink and close off the blood flow and finally these unattractive veins disappear as they are not provided with blood any longer. Upon the procedure the patient should wear a compression dressing (e.g. compression stockings).
- You should have a graduated compression therapy – compression knee-length socks, stockings or tights;
- You should walk 5 to 10 minutes right after the procedure to reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis;
- You should return to your normal activity over 7 days following the procedure and use compression therapy during the day;
- The procedure poses no contraindication to work;
- Postoperative bruising and the varicose veins will settle and gradually absorb within several to over a dozen weeks;
- You should avoid sunlight and tanning beds to reduce the risk of discoloration.
A good aesthetic effect of sclerotherapy is normally achieved after performing several to over a dozen sessions with minimum a 7-day break between each of them.
You should be aware of the fact that sclerotherapy does not eliminate the disease but only its symptoms, that is the noticeable varicose veins or spider veins. That is why these pathologic changes may recur after a while. How long the good cosmetic effect will last varies depending on individual genetic predispositions and varicose vein prophylaxis applied.
The side effects may include:
An intravenous drug application may cause an allergic reaction. If you have a similar history, you should inform your physician about it.
Over a short period of time following the procedure, you may find the skin over the vein closed reddened and painful when touched. Heparin gels for varicose veins will successfully solve the troubles.Postoperative bruising / haematomas may appear around the injections and along the treated varicose vein.Skin colour changes may take up to over a dozen months to disappear – the bigger the diameter of the varicose vein the longer the discoloration may last.
In some people, it may be permanent.
Should you notice any adverse symptoms, do not hesitate to contact your physician.
Follow-up appointments and subsequent sclerotherapy sessions will take place after seven to fourteen days following the procedure.
Having achieved a satisfactory result, you are recommended to have a follow-up appointment with an ultrasound when you notice new varicosities or reccuren symptoms like heaviness orv sweling.
Information and registration available 09.00-19.00 on weekdays by phone on: +48 52 326 58 00 or day and night service available through an e-Appointment form.
The procedure concerning disease and treatment may vary depending on a patient and a surgeon’s experience.
Should you have any queries about the laser procedure, preparation for it or postoperative treatment, a fee for surgery or cost coverage by your insurance company, do not hesitate to ask your surgeon.