Steam ablation for varicose veins - SVS
The SVS steam varicose veins removal procedure is a novel chronic venous insufficiency treatment technology. Unlike laser or radial procedures, SVS ablation allows for the removal of superficial large and tortuous varicose veins.
The purposes of chronic venous insufficiency treatment through removing blood flow pathological sources include:
- Achieve an enhanced leg appearance;
- Reducing the risk of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) development/ recurrence;
- Reduce the risk of thrombophlebitis development / recurrence;
- Reduce the risk of venous ulcer development / recurrence;
- Minimise troubles like oedema, myospasms, leg heaviness and fatigue.
We have been involved in performing intravenous procedures since 2007!
- It is the only technique allowing for the removal of all kinds of varicose veins during one session;
- Possibility to close off varicose veins which are large in diameter;
- Possibility to close off tortuous varicose veins;
- Possibility to close off large superficial varicose veins;
- Possibility to treat large recurrent varicose veins;
- Postoperative haematomas and pain are definitely less nagging;
- A minimally invasive, incisionless procedure, relatively no scars;
- Only local anaesthesia (no spinal needle insertion, no intubation);
- You are likely to go home only 2 hours upon the procedure;
- Relatively short convalescence – without the need to reduce your normal daily routine;
- You are likely to return to work only 3-7 days following the procedure;
- This type of treatment is a proven method which has been applied abroad for about 5 years and in Poland since the year 2013.
SVS treatment results – pre- and post-operative images:
A 36-year old man with several years of vascular disease history, was qualified for the SVS ablation procedure to treat the saphenous vein and varicose veins of the left leg.
The varicose veins which had been pretty noticeable before the procedure, were almost completely removed. On the fifth day following the procedure there was a considerable improvement as the varicose veins virtually disappeared and so did minor lividity which actually didn’t prevent from everyday activities. Only five days after the treatment such troubles as leg heaviness and fatigue, night cramps and ankle oedema; practically disappeared.
Medical eligibility is verified and the laser treatment is performed by:
Stanisław Molski, MD. PhD. DSc.
Michal Molski, MD. PhD.
Schedule your visit via e-Appointment.
Pricelist, reimbursement provideed by insurance companies:
- Cost of verifying a patient’s eligibility for the procedure with a USG scan is 120 €;
- Cost of SVS varicose veins removal procedure amounts to 1500 €;
- Follow-up appointments up to 4 weeks following the procedure – free of charge.
- We signed contracts concerning medical eligibility and procedure coverage with eg. Luxmed a partner of BUPA
- Check if your insurance coverage includes the cost of medical eligibility or procedure
- If required we will prepare a treatment plan for your insurance company
Disease symptoms and indications for the procedure:
What are the symptoms of vascular disease?
- Feeling of leg heaviness receding or reducing after resting, especially when keeping your legs in a lifted position
- Muscular, calf contractions at night, intensifying after seating or standing in the same position for a long time, and also when in high temperatures
- Expanding sensations in calves
- Foot, ankle or calf swelling increasing after seating or standing in the same position for a long time, and also when in high temperatures
- Pain alongside the veins
- Tingling sensation, numb sensation in legs
- Restless leg syndrome
- Itchy skin
- Melanoderma, particularly in the area of ankles
- Noticeable bulging and curving varicose veins
- Thrombophlebitis and deep venous thrombosis
- Shank ulcers – most frequently around ankles
Course of the procedure:
This treatment is performed using local anaesthesia and anaesthetic sedation, which ensures a patient the best safety and comfort and enables going home only 2 hours following the procedure.
SVS ablation procedure involves the insertion of a thin, flexible tube, called an SVS catheter into a varicose vein in the area of the knee and large superficial varicose veins. 120°C hot steam is transported to provided to varicose veins. This way varicose veins are closed off which allows to avoid incisions, scars as well as postoperative haematomas.
After the procedure, you will wear a compression stocking on your treated leg.
The patient is discharged from the hospital only two hours following the procedure and may go home on his or her own steam accompanied by someone to look after.
- You should wear a compression stocking day and night until the follow-up visit.
- You must not make any essential decisions, drive motor vehicles or consume alcohol or other stimulants for the period of 24 hours following the procedure.
- You may find the skin surface over the vein closed, especially above knee particularly painful when touched, insignificant bruises are common. The application of paracetamol, ibuprofen or other painkillers as well as heparin gels for varicose veins will successfully solve the troubles.
- Postoperative bruising, if any, will settle and absorb within several weeks.
- After discharge from hospital, you should carry on your normal daily routine but avoid overstrain and too much walking.
You are likely to return to work ca. 5-7 days following the laser procedure.
- A follow-up visit is scheduled before your flight home
- Follow-up visits, if necessary, are free of charge for the period of 4 weeks following the procedure
- Varicosities shrin and dissaper within 4 weeks after procedure. If you still notice varicosities after this time you are advised to get a medical consultation in order to determine indications for a supplementary treatment, e.g. sclerotherapy
- You are advised to get a medical consultation if you notice new varicosities or recurrent symptoms like haeviness ro swelling
Should you have any doubts or notice any distressing symptoms such as leg swelling, fever, do not hesitate to contact a doctor.
Information and registration available 09.00-19.00 on weekdays by phone on: +48 52 326 58 00 or day and night service available through an e-Appointment form.
The procedure concerning disease and treatment may vary depending on a patient and a surgeon’s experience.
Should you have any queries about the laser procedure, preparation for it or postoperative treatment, a fee for surgery or cost coverage by your insurance company, do not hesitate to ask your surgeon.